Photos by Roberto Hajduk: http://roberthajduk.com/ec29er/29er_europeans_switzerland_2011

Photos by Roberto Hajduk: http://roberthajduk.com/ec29er/29er_europeans_switzerland_2011
Photos by Roberto Hajduk: http://roberthajduk.com/ec29er/29er_europeans_switzerland_2011

Sunday, July 10, 2011

"It's just a little weather"


I was in the lobby of our little German inn working on my laptop. The boys were down at the sail base checking out their boat and going for a warm up sail. Our bright, sunny day turned suddenly black. It was as if someone had turned out the lights. I heard loud thunder and rushed to my car. The sky opened up and it was pouring.  Thunder and lightning were hitting every few seconds with barely any delay between the two. I could see lightning strike near the sail base several times. I don’t remember every being in a lightning storm so intense. I drove way too fast through the suddenly abandoned town. When I arrived at the sail base only Dane and Newt were there. They were keeping their heads low. It felt like a war zone. I yelled for the boys to get into the car. Dane complied but Newt insisted on finishing putting the boat away and got frustrated with Dane for not helping. I told Newt, “Get in the car now and I’m not letting Dane get out.” (Full disclosure: I inserted a few explicatives). He sensed my determination and got in protesting that it was “just a little weather.” I changed tactics and apologized and explained that sometimes he just had to honor a neurotic mother’s wishes. At that point Newt relinquished and we navigated our way home without being able to see much of the road. The storm cleared as quickly as it came on. We headed back to the sail base and finished putting away the soaked sails. I honestly wish I still had the sense of invincibility and fearlessness of teenagers. (Full disclosure #2: photo not from event, but added for dramatic effect)

No comments:

Post a Comment